History of creation
Engineering in Life Science Applications (ELiA - ex NBS) LAAS team started research activity on transfer printing of molecules (see microcontactprinting.net) in 2002 and developed advanced soft-lithography techniques for biopatterning in the frame of the integrated European project NAPA (2004-2007). After 2007, a collaboration was initiated with Innopsys company for transferring these methods and for developing a label free optical biodetection device based on the measurement of the variations of the diffracted intensity by a periodic molecular grating of probe molecules. 3 PhD projects were shared with Innopsys on these topics before the launching of Biosoft.
Today the knowledge accumulated by the joined team is described through 30 publications in peer review journals and 5 patents covering the following scientific and technological advances:
- DNA microarrays fabrication of enhanced sensitivity by micro-contact printing (µCP).
- Demonstration and patenting of the print of multiple molecules in one step (macrostamp technology for multiplexing).
- Nanoscale self-alignment of biomolecular patterns made of different molecules.
- Demonstration and patenting of a label free optical biodetection using the print of periodic molecular gratings of probe biomolecules (Diffrascan technology).
- Fabrication of micro and nano patches of lipid bilayers by µCP.
- Directed assembly of nano-objects on printed molecular patterns.
- 50 nm spatial resolution of printed molecular patterns of dendrimers.
- Molecular patterns printed using self-organized PDMS stamps.
- Nano-contact printing of single biomolecules.
- Advanced materials printing (Molecular Imprint Polymers (MIP), spin transition compounds, carbon nanotubes (patented), nanoparticles).
- Protein patterns for the immobilization of individual cells and the control of their adhesion patterns.
- Biofunctionalization of free-standing MEMS and NEMS using µCP.
- Demonstration and patenting of the combination of capillary assembly and soft-lithography for the detection of analytes in the sub femto-molar range.
- Patented technology for automatizing the multiplexed printing of molecules using magnetic stamps.
These achievements combined with the know-how of Innopsys in fluorescence scanners, optical, mechanical, electrical and software instrumentation, quality management and CE-IVD certification, make the ground of BIOSOFT joint lab.